The first website I built took me months to create. The second took me just a couple of hours.
Why the huge difference? Because the second time round I knew exactly what to do when, and what to prioritize, when designing a website.
Hi, I’m Marina, and I share simple tutorials for non-techie entrepreneurs as a non-techie entrepreneur. I don’t want you to go through the same struggles I encountered and make the same mistakes I made when I started out, so here are the 3 things I wish I knew before designing a website.
1. What Website Creation Platform To Use
This is step 1 of the equation when creating a website yourself. To be completely honest, it took me days (if not weeks) to choose the best option for me.
Firstly, because I didn't know which website creation platforms existed. And secondly, because I didn't know, out of all the options I compiled at the time (Weebly, Moonfruit, Strikingly, Designly, IM Creator, and Wix, to be exact) which one I should select.
In the end I chose Wix due to its ease of use, drag-and-drop editor, and affordability, which you can try out for yourself for free by clicking on the link in the description box below.
Want to know my exact reasoning in more detail? Check out my video on 'The Best Website Builder To Create Your Own Website (+ Why I Chose Wix)' which I'll also link to in the description box.
2. How To Structure And Write Content For Each Of My Pages
Now that I chose the website creation platform, what should I do with it? I had never designed a website before, so I had no idea what my website should look like, and what should be included within each page.
At that moment, knowing what a site map and what copywriting are would've been a game changer. A site map is a list of all of the pages on your website, and I like creating them as drawings that map out where each section will go.
How do you do that? By researching the websites of other players in your niche, and figuring out what you like and dislike about each.
The same goes for copywriting. If you have no idea what kind of content should be included in each page on your website, check out your competitors, and what they write about. A little stalking never hurt anybody.
3. That Email Marketing Should Be My #1 Priority
The first website I created only had a small opt-in form in the footer, a place that's the exact opposite of prime real estate. Email is the only social platform that we have 100% control over, and as such is essential no matter what our ultimate goal is, be it to make sales or be established as an expert in our field.
If you look around my current website, yestotech.com, the website is full of opt-in forms, independent of the page you land on. The homepage has three opt-ins, all blog posts link to opt-in incentives, and the resources page is all about exchanging an email for a freebie of your choice.
I use ConvertKit as my email marketing platform to easily manage this all, which you can try out for free by clicking on the link in the description box below.
If you want to learn more about the first steps you need to take to design a website, in a way that makes sense for a total beginner, check out my FREE Epic Website Challenge, which I linked to in the description box below.
Have you ever designed a website? If so, what did you wish you knew before designing it? Share your thoughts in the comments below and inspire others!
If you enjoyed this video, subscribe and hit the bell for new videos every week on how to navigate the tech side of online business with ease. For more, check out these two videos for additional website creation tips and tricks, and I'll see you in the next one.
WATCH THIS BEFORE DESIGNING A WEBSITE. The first website I built took me months to create. The second website took me a couple of hours. Why? The second time round I knew the web design process and how to design a website from scratch. If you're in need of web design inspiration, either for your online business or because you want to become a web design freelancer and build a web designer career, watch this before designing a website. I share the 3 things I wish I knew before designing a website for you to create a website easily!
SUBSCRIBE FOR NEW VIDEOS EVERY TUESDAY & THURSDAY: http://bit.ly/youtubeyestotech
~ RESOURCES MENTIONED ~
○ FREE Epic Website Challenge: https://www.yestotech.com/freechallenge
○ Try Wix For FREE: http://bit.ly/wixforfree
○ The Best Website Builder To Create Your Own Website (+ Why I Chose Wix): https://youtu.be/fCNcYT87Iyg
○ Yes To Tech's Website: https://www.yestotech.com
○ Try ConvertKit For FREE: https://convertkit.com?lmref=7SUoRg
○ Create Your Own Website Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNL5gEeIhRc&list=PLbLPqE_rHXqsSO58zV2lTGCH4DnzjPp2r
○ Read The Post: https://www.yestotech.com/post/watch-this-before-designing-a-website
CLICK TO TWEET: https://ctt.ac/178LH
~ RECENT VIDEOS ~
○ How To Get More Comments On Your Wix Website: https://youtu.be/AGpS9tP5D2o
○ 3 Surefire Ways To Maximize Your Content Marketing Efforts On Social Media: https://youtu.be/Qk7534RDSFk
○ How To Create Photo Collages In Canva: https://youtu.be/3ynSQ-x03dg
○ The Ultimate Facebook Group Marketing Strategy: https://youtu.be/tLrBWDfX4vo
○ How To Design Facebook Ads In Canva: https://youtu.be/KVIRcRk58d0
~ TOOLS & SERVICES I USE ~
○ Graphic design tool (Canva Pro): https://canva.pxf.io/jA4Q5
○ DIY website builder (Wix): http://bit.ly/wixforfree
○ Landing page builder (Leadpages): https://try.leadpages.com/yestotech
○ Email provider (ConvertKit): https://convertkit.com/?lmref=7SUoRg
○ Surveys & experience management (SurveySparrow): https://surveysparrow.grsm.io/yestotech
○ Quiz, poll & giveaway maker (Interact): https://www.tryinteract.com/#oid=59709_4020
○ Web hosting (Hostinger): https://www.hostinger.com/yestotech
○ Paid products platform (Teachable): https://teachable.sjv.io/c/1134751/933427/12646
○ Pinterest pin scheduler (Tailwind): https://www.tailwindapp.com/i/yestotech
○ Visual content creator (Visme): https://partner.visme.co/?ref=MarinaLotaif
○ Social media management (Viraltag): https://viraltag.grsm.io/MarinaLotaif914
~ SHOP MY COURSES ~
○ Canva Crash Course: https://bit.ly/yttcanvacrashcourse
○ Fill In The Blanks Website: https://bit.ly/fillintheblankswebsite
○ Jumpstart Your Sales: https://bit.ly/yttjumpstartyoursales
○ Brilliant Branding: https://bit.ly/brilliantbrandingcourse
○ Wonder Website: https://bit.ly/wonderwebsitecourse
○ Traffic Takeoff: https://bit.ly/traffictakeoffcourse
○ Webinar Sales Funnel Template: https://bit.ly/webinarsalesfunneltemplate
○ Online Business Templates Vault: https://bit.ly/onlinebiztemplates
○ ConvertKit Tech Training Tutorials: https://bit.ly/convertkittechtraining
○ Power Productivity: https://bit.ly/powerproductivitycourse
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE VIDEOS: http://bit.ly/youtubeyestotech
MY FAVORITE RESOURCES: https://www.yestotech.com/resources
~ COME SAY HI! ~
○ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
○ Website: https://www.yestotech.com
○ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yestotech
○ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/yestotech
○ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yestotech
○ Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarinaLotaif
I'm Marina, the brain behind Yes To Tech. Think of me as your fairy godmother of tech, so that you can grow your online business fast without stress or overwhelm. It's my mission to help you navigate the tech side of online business with ease - even if you're not tech savvy! New videos go live every Tuesday and Thursday :)
DISCLAIMER: This video and description may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission. This helps support the channel and allows me to continue to make videos like this. I only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for your support!
Tags: watch this before designing a website, web design process, web designer, freelance web designer, web design freelance, web design business, web design inspiration, web design freelancer, web designer career, web design, web development, website design, how to make a website, how to design a website, how to build a website, introduction to web design, website design tutorial, design a website, create a website, website, web design tutorial, how to design a website from scratch, yes to tech